The Pigeon Roost Development Corporation
To provide strategic planning and guidance in selected service areas
and to serve as change agents for historic preservation and revitalization
by working with local residents and owners to build a better tomorrow
for our neighborhoods and the greater Memphis community through
housing, community, and human development.
Building Tomorrow’s Community Today through:
- Working to restore significant historical sites and structures in the area;
- Supporting and representing the interests of residents and institutions in the area;
- Working with residents and interested stakeholders to develop a comprehensive plan for revitalization;
- Preparing for future development in a manner consistent with the interests of area neighborhoods and the greater community;
- Networking with other organizations to secure available support from private and public agencies;
- Promoting public policies that reduce barriers to revitalization and improve the quality of life for residents;
- Working to implement broader community plans for revitalization;
- Working to provide a nurturing environment for children and supporting local schools in preparing them for a productive life;
- Securing resources needed to accomplish these goals.
Working in collaboration with residents and other civic and grassroots organizations, the PRDC works to improve the physical environment and overall quality of life for residents and other stakeholders in the Lamar Avenue corridor.
It supports the growth of compatible commercial enterprises in the community to provide for the daily needs of local residents and to present them with job opportunities.
The PRCD envisions a community consisting of attractive neighborhoods with a variety of desirable housing and vital commercial areas, including engaging, attractive public spaces and institutions.
The PRDC seeks to develop neighborhoods where children and adults will experience a healthful environment in which to develop strong self-images and self-confidence enabling them to improve themselves and their community.
Our success derives from the competency and professionalism of our Board and staff members and their continued commitment to strive for the completion of our goals.
Pictured above, 1717 Lamar Avenue is situated on the property acquired by PRDC in 2010. A former hardware store, it will become a small grocery store and sandwich shop serving the community.
At left, property acquired in 2010. It contains the entire block between Lamar Avenue, Walker Avenue, and Kyle Street.